Innovating Our Strategies to Fight Stigma
- We fight prejudice in the workplace, where many of the most egregious sightings of prejudice reside.
- We use social media to advertise the prevalence of epilepsy, saying that 1-2% of the population has epilepsy at any given time and an astounding 1 in 26 will be subject to epilepsy within their lifetimes.
- We try to get personal stories out there. But most often, they’re about our hardships, not about how typical our lives might be on balance. (After all, is anyone truly typical?)
- We struggle with how to get those among the 70% of us who have controlled seizures who hide their condition to begin to talk about their epilepsy.
- We hold walks and other events to raise awareness and funds.
- We try to educate the general public on how to respond to seizures, on how to help us.